11-Oct 2018: There is still educated speculation as to which S-300 systems precisely were delivered to Syria. The systems could be the 531st Guards anti-aircraft missile regiment with one S-300PM1 battalion and one S-300PM2 battalion. There are seemingly endless versions here including:
- S-300P (P - means air defense, to distinguish it from a military (V) or naval (F)) - basic version, 1978.
- S-300PM - the first modification in 1983, the new rocket 48N6, new reviewer, new target designator.
- S-300PM1 - second modification, 1990 (?) two new missiles based on 9M96, new control system, new specialized radar detectors separately for low/high altitudes targets, control up to 12 target intercepts.
- S-300PM2 - 1997, new rocket 48N6E2, updated control system for medium-range, an updated 64H6E2, the ability to integrate into the air defense grouping out to 300 kilometers, and can be controlled remotely. 'U' designation is export version.
24-Sept 2018: Russia has announced it will deliver S-300VM (SA-23) capable of dealing with 96 targets simultaneously - to Syria - in two weeks.
There is some ambiguity as to which "S-300VM" version will actually be fielded in Syria. This ambiguity only works to enhance its deterrent capability. In addition, Krasukha-4 broadband multifunctional jamming systems have arrived in Syria. Also, six Il-76MD transport and eight Su-30SM and Su-35S fighters have now arrived at Khmeimim AB as well.
"Kommersant: Russia to supply 2 S-300 regiment in next 2 weeks, will be deployed on coast and on the border with Jordan, Israel, Lebanon, and Iraq. Later - up to 8 complexes." Source
If this is true, then the Turkish Air Force and US Tomahawk cruise missiles may now also have difficulties operating or attempting to hit targets in Syria.
|Krasukha-4 broadband jammers|
The Israelis should be worried...there are these new developments
"An Israeli army delegation led by the Commander of the IAF, Maj. Gen. Amikam Norkin, will depart to Moscow following the downing of the Russian plane by Syrian anti-aircraft fire on Monday night."
19-Sept 2018: Russia has now created a large no-fly zone over the eastern Mediterranean and the Syrian and Lebanese coasts. These are also Israeli Air Force approach routes to attack Syria
Il-20M wreckage recovery underway ~ 27 km of Latakia shore.
|Map of IL-20M shoot-down incident.|
22-March 2018: Syrian government forces exchange artillery fire with the Turkish Army around the city of Nub'bul in Syria. Ankara's "Olive Branch" incursion into Syria will have unintended consequences and has put Turkey, the United States other NATO members on a direct collision course. YPG forces are now fighting on the same side as Assad, to try to eject the Turks from Syria. The Turks should be suspended from NATO treaty protection because there is nothing about the current Turkish government to defend. NATO needs to adopt minimum liberal democratic standards that must be met and maintained for NATO membership.
10-Feb 2018: An Israeli F-16I and a Turkish T-129 attack helicopter have both been shot down over different parts of Syria today. The Turkish T-129 helicopter crashed near Afrin in the north, while the Israeli F-16I was hit while conducting an airstrike near Damascus or Palmyra. An Israeli F16 jet crashed in northern Israel.
- All media found here is for scholarly and research purposes and protected under U.S. Internet ‘Fair Use’ Law -